Friday, November 26, 2010

Letter from my sister to her boyfriend- 9/21/1994, Pink Power Ranger Story

Dear Brian, dated 9/21/1994
Tomorrow, I have nowhere to sit for lunch (if Julie is still mad at me). Rachel is sitting at my table (not that I want her to)!
[Unbeknownst to me, my own twin sister hated me!] How are you? Nikki called me. I don't know what she wanted. Every Wednesday from 7-8 pm I have Catechatical Class at church. That sucks. [Hallelujah!] Health tomorrow. Love, R.

OK, I've had enough fun at my sister's expense. Time for some laughing at me:

From a "Career Prep" project I had to do for my junior year in English class. The project included a journal to write my career aspirations and a speech. From the journal:

"I have chosen to be a film director and writer. [Wow, really? Sounds promising.] I choose this because I think it would be an exciting and different career to learn about. [Different!] Students can relate because they all watch movies." [Lazy!]

From a letter that I sent to the New York Film Academy, asking for information for my project:

"Dear Sirs and Madames:
I would like the following: 1.) a brochure on filmmaking workshops 2.) An interview with one of your experts
[Sure, kid!]
I would appreciate this information asap, as I am on a deadline. [Where the heck did I get off saying something like that?]
Yours truly, R."

From my self-evaluation journal entry about my speech:

"Before my real presentation, I practiced in front of my homeroom. Mr. Moore told me to stop playing with my navel. [Disturbing.] Joe A. [pot head] told me to stop moving around and to 'just chill.' The Pink Power Ranger story [don't ask] is true! I love telling it! I really killed the crowd with my punchline. I was afraid no one would find it funny. I want to direct because I have stories to tell visually rather than trying to write them. My writing is pretty bad. The end." [Yes, you're writing IS pretty bad!]

I got a 95% on the project, even though I can tell I pretty much half-assed it. There definitely was no "expert interview." What's that you ask? You want to hear the Pink Power Ranger story? OK, it's not that great, I don't know why my classmates found it funny, but I do remember it as follows:

I pointed out in my speech that making a movie and watching a movie are two different things. Watching it is lots of fun, however, making one is long, difficult, and frustrating. Here is where I use a real-life example that sums up my experience with film production. I was "down the shore" (as we like to say in Philly, right, right?) in Jersey with my buddy, Laura, when we stumbled upon a film crew! Wowee! I ran up to check it out and asked some rubber neckers what the movie was. Apparently, it was a vampire flick [how ahead of its time!] that starred none other than THE PINK POWER RANGER, who, according to IMDB, is named Mary Jo Johnson, and was a big deal in 1999. Looking at her now, she was quite a looker! Also, from my IMDB research, I have discovered that the movie was most certainly, Cold Hearts, a movie about "a quiet town in New Jersey that possesses a dark secret. Viktoria has given her life and soul to the ways of the vampire. Now, after almost a decade of stealing blood from local hospitals and the occasional kill, Viktoria is more pessimistic than ever." Whoa- stealing blood from local hospitals! Heavy stuff.
Myself and a bunch of Jersey's finest stood outside of Pink Power Ranger's trailer, hoping for an autograph, but sadly, an assistant came out to inform us that she was tired and would be doing no such thing!
Regardless, my big "punchline" was that film production was so difficult, it could even tire out THE PINK POWER RANGER (who carried a Power Bow as a weapon and had the skills of a ninja)!!! HAHA Big laughs!
I also remember my friend, Laura, having been a bit sore at my attention towards the Pink Power Ranger. She was a Xena Warrior Princess lover and must have thought Pink Power Ranger did not measure up. In hindsight, she's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment